After graduating from Indian River High School, I studied mechanical and residential architecture at Delaware Technical Community College at night. I created my own apprenticeship by working in every trade of the home building industry while attending college at night. This hands on experience enabled me to learn design and home building from the ground up.
I became self-employed 1981 and founded the Bruce Mears Designer-Builder Inc. in 1985. Within five years, I was a leader in the upscale housing and major renovations market in and around coastal Sussex County, Delaware. Whether building an oceanfront home from the ground up, or renovating an existing home, I am known for imaginative designs, quality construction, and service that continues long after construction is complete.
I use my creative ability to take advantage of lot geography and provide a design which has beautiful exterior elevations and a great floor plan that provides the owner with the desired interior layout as well as views of outdoor surroundings which enhance the beauty of living in your home. I design 14 out of 15 houses that I build.
In addition to my 32 years of construction experience, I have been very active in my community by donating my time and talent:
- 4 years, co-director of the Delaware ESA
- One term on the Mariners Bethel United Methodist church Board of Trustees
- Three years serving as the construction and design consultant for Mariners Bethel United Methodist church’s new sanctuary project. I created four different sanctuary designs to help the congregation decide on a new sanctuary concept.
- Two, 2 year terms as the political chairman of the 38th District in which I live.
- Three years on the Board of Directors of the Fenwick/Bethany Chamber of Commerce. During this time I donated an expansion/renovation design to the Bethany Fenwick Chamber of Commerce building and assisted the construction management firm as needed. I remain a member of the Bethany Fenwick Chamber of Commerce as well as the Rehoboth Chamber of Commerce.
- I served as an appointed official on the Sussex County Building Code Board of Appeals since 1996 and became a Chairman of the Board in 2003. After 22 years of service I resigned this position in Janauary 2019 for an appointmnet to the Sussex County Planning & Zoning Commision.
- I served as an appointed official on the Sussex County Building Board of Adjustments from October 2017 to January 2019. I resigned this position in Janauary 2019 for an appointmnet to the Sussex County Planning & Zoning Commision.
- I am currently serving as a Sussex County as Planning and Zoning Commisionor.