After graduating from Indian River High School, I studied mechanical and residential architecture at Delaware Technical Community College at night. I created my own apprenticeship by working in every trade of the home building industry while attending college at night. This hands-on experience enabled me to learn design and home building from the ground up.
I became self-employed 1981 and founded the Bruce Mears Designer-Builder Inc. in 1985. Within five years, I was a leader in the upscale housing and major renovations market in and around coastal Sussex County, Delaware. Whether building an oceanfront home from the ground up, or renovating an existing home, I am known for imaginative designs, quality construction, and service that continues long after construction is complete.
I use my creative ability to take advantage of lot geography and provide a design which has beautiful exterior elevations and a great floor plan that provides the owner with the desired interior layout as well as views of outdoor surroundings which enhance the beauty of living in your home. I design 14 out of 15 houses that I build.
In addition to my 40 plus years of construction experience, I have been very active in my community by donating my time and talent:
- 4 years, co-director of the Delaware ESA
- One term on the Mariners Bethel United Methodist church Board of Trustees
- Three years serving as the construction and design consultant for Mariners Bethel United Methodist church’s new sanctuary project. I created four different sanctuary designs to help the congregation decide on a new sanctuary concept.
- Two, 2 year terms as the political chairman of the 38th District in which I live.
- Three years on the Board of Directors of the Fenwick/Bethany Chamber of Commerce. During this time I donated an expansion/renovation design to the Bethany Fenwick Chamber of Commerce building and assisted the construction management firm as needed. I remain a member of the Bethany Fenwick Chamber of Commerce as well as the Rehoboth Chamber of Commerce.
- I served as an appointed official on the Sussex County Building Code Board of Appeals since 1996 and became a Chairman of the Board in 2003. After 22 years of service I resigned this position in January 2019 for an appointment to the Sussex County Planning & Zoning Commission.
- I served as an appointed official on the Sussex County Building Board of Adjustments from October 2017 to January 2019. I resigned this position in January 2019 for an appointment to the Sussex County Planning & Zoning Commission.
- I am currently serving as a Sussex County Planning and Zoning Commissioner.